Friday, June 18, 2010

News Age of Heroes

I've been a huge follower of video game industry news for as long as I can remember. It probably started with my first issue of the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter in 1987. Years later, but before the Internet became mainstream, I'd spend hours in Borders, reading every gaming magazine on the shelves. Eventually, I made a habit of disseminating this news to my friends as quickly as I could. I created an XBAND account (called TheNews, if I remember correctly) as an early means of digital news distribution. I'd update the account profile with the latest info as often as I could.

In recent years, my hobby of following gaming news has eclipsed my actual playing of games. I spend most of my free time reading and reporting this news. Lately, my news updates have been primarily fighting-game-based and distributed to a small group of friends via an email list.

The email list seems to be serving its purpose, but it has its drawbacks. It is, of course, limited to just a handful of recipients. Also, some people have voiced their displeasure with the constant "spam" of updates. I am starting this blog as a way to avoid these problems. Want to check out what I have to say? Just come here at your leisure. Want to share my updates with others? Send them here. Want to comment without spamming everyone's inbox? You get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still just starting out, but I'll be working to make this blog look better. Also, I see there's a "Follow" button in the top right for those who do want a regular stream of updates.

    ReplyDelete